My Account Login | Contact Us

Trainer Contessa Buys Former Trainee from Auction

8 years 6 months ago #653 by CLCWriter
Marion Altieri
Altieri_Contessa_Racing@yahoo.com

Trainer Gary Contessa Buys Former Trainee Out of Auction, Encourages Establishment of Buy-Back Fund for Thoroughbreds

Elmont, NY and Saratoga Springs, NY—When Thoroughbred Trainer, Gary Contessa, bought and trained Seal Team Six for Wounded Warrior Stables, he had no idea that the handsome son of Distorted Humor might ever end up in an auction house in New Jersey. Asking price: $500.

But that’s exactly what happened: Ironically, the horse who fetched $240,000 at the May, 2013 Timonium sale of two-year-olds in training found himself in a feed lot on Veterans’ Day.

But through Facebook’s OTTB Connect page and FB friend, Tara Cochran, Contessa became aware that his horse had been given up by the woman to whom he’d entrusted the beautiful colt in 2014. In response to Cochran’s request that Contessa get involved—he did. By 5PM on the 12th, Contessa had purchased Seal Team Six. Trainer Tom Foley had jumped in, to offer to take the colt first to Maryland for his quarantine, then to Virginia where the horse will start his new career in the equestrian world.

Obviously, Contessa was upset: when he gave the horse to the woman, he made her promise to call him if ever her situation changed, and keeping Seal Team Six wasn’t possible. She did not do that. She promised that he’d always have a good home. This situation was neither good, nor home.

Unfortunately, cases like this happen every day, throughout the United States. Not every trainer has the opportunity or the means to snatch their former trainees from the possibility of slaughter via the feedlot route. More Thoroughbreds are faced with this fate every day, than we’d like to think. There must be a solution, so that Seal Team Six’s story is not an isolated one. There must be a way to save every Thoroughbred from the low-end auctions and possible death in a Mexican or Canadian slaughterhouse.

To this end, Contessa stated today,

This should not be about me, but instead about industry awareness. A horse that I once had was in danger of being sent to the kill pen, and I was not going to let that happen. I would be very open to the establishment of a fund that can ensure that horses like him, who face this problem, can be rescued and relocated without hesitation. I am fortunate to have been able to save him and thankful to Tara Cochran for making me aware of the situation, as well as my former assistant (and top jump rider) Tom Foley, for getting involved so quickly.

The establishment of a fund which would be supported by all the people who feel the same way about this, would go a long way toward protecting our warriors from this end.

Gary Contessa saved one lucky horse on November 12, but he wants to see the creation of a fund that exists specifically for the purpose of rescuing Thoroughbreds out of feedlots. A fund supported and administered by fans, bettors, and industry professionals so that no Thoroughbred falls through the cracks. A fund that will assure that no Thoroughbred ever again ends up with a hip number that leads to an uncertain future, and possible death. Contessa encourages dialogue about this concept, and is willing to assist in the conversation that leads to the establishment of the fund.

Tonight, Seal Team Six is safe and has a bright future. Trainer Gary Contessa believes that all horses deserve that same chance.

For more information about Seal Team Six; Wounded Warrior Stables or Gary Contessa, please contact Contessa directly. To start the conversation about the fund that Contessa has proposed, or to arrange interviews with Contessa, please contact Marion Altieri, Director of Communications, Gary Contessa Racing Stable. Thank you.

-- END --

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More