My Account Login | Contact Us

Veterinary Scholarship Awards Announced

8 years 1 week ago #840 by CLCWriter
Coyote Rock Ranch Veterinary Scholarship Awards Announced

Two equine veterinary students have received the Coyote Rock Ranch Veterinary Scholarship from the American Quarter Horse Foundation.

The Coyote Rock Ranch Veterinary Scholarship was created by the owner of the ranch, Penny Knight of Hillsboro, Oregon, whose husband, Phil Knight, cofounded Nike. The scholarship awards $75,000 each to two fourth-year veterinary students who intend to pursue a career in an equine-focused veterinary practice upon graduation.

An avid horsewoman, Knight is an advocate for horse health and hopes that she can offer this great opportunity to benefit our next generation of veterinarians.

“I created this scholarship to help like-minded individuals who are pursuing their dream in equine veterinary medicine,” Knight said. “Helping future veterinarians is one way I am able to give back to the industry I hold dear to my heart, and I will continue my support for years to come.”

About the 2016-2017 Recipients

Josh Singer, a veterinary student at the University of Georgia’s College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2017, is one of the 2016-17 recipients.

“I am particularly interested in equine lameness and sports medicine,” Singer said. “I believe in the horse as an athlete, and my passion in veterinary medicine is to see horses compete to their highest potential.”

He is the son of Randy and Rhonda Singer of Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Jenni Wright, a veterinary student at Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2017, is the second recipient.

“From the time I was 5 years old, I knew I wanted to be a veterinarian,” Wright said. “My long-term goal is to practice as a board-certified equine surgeon and research exercise and muscle physiology in performance horses.”

She is the daughter of Charles and Michelle Wright of Argyle, Texas.

About Coyote Rock Ranch and the Coyote Rock Ranch Veterinary Scholarship

Nestled in the beautiful high desert country of Central Oregon, Coyote Rock Ranch is a breeding operation for high-end cutting horses.

Ideal candidates for the Coyote Rock Ranch Veterinary Scholarship are students enrolled at an American Veterinary Medical Association-accredited college of veterinary medicine in the United States or Canada whose studies are equine-focused and who have a minimum cumulative 3.0 grade point average. While preference is given to students with American Quarter Horse involvement, students with significant equine involvement or experience with other breeds or disciplines are also encouraged to apply. Recipients must indicate a desire to pursue a career with an equine-focused veterinary practice. Applicants must be enrolled as a third-year veterinary student when applying. Funding for this scholarship is applied to the student's last year of the veterinary program.

The Coyote Rock Ranch Veterinary Scholarship is just one of many scholarship opportunities the American Quarter Horse Foundation offers each year. The Foundation provides financial assistance to AQHA and American Quarter Horse Youth Association members through general, career-path, and state or regional scholarships.

For more information about the Foundation’s scholarship program, visit www.aqha.com/scholarships or call 806/378-5029.

To make a gift to the scholarship program, visit www.aqha.com/foundation .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More