My Account Login | Contact Us

Halliday-Sharp Maintains Winning Ways

8 years 10 months ago #271 by
Halliday-Sharp Maintains Winning Ways with Brightling Park CIC2* Victory

• Blackie back on top as Chailey Stud horses impress across the board

Liz Halliday-Sharp was back in the winner’s circle with Blackie (Fernhill By Night) on Sunday (July 5) after the pair picked up their second victory of the British Eventing season in the Brightling Park International Horse Trials’ CIC2* competition.

There was also encouragement for two of Chailey Stud’s less experienced horses, with Ozzy (HS Oskar) backing up a recent BE100 Plus victory with fifth on his maiden Novice appearance, and Niro (Deniro Z) finishing 11th in his first ever BE100 event.

But the day undoubtedly belonged to Blackie who lead his section from start to finish after recording a personal best Dressage score of 32.2. A clear Show Jumping round featuring just two time faults and an untroubled Cross Country outing that included 5.6 time penalties over a course no pairing completed under time was ultimately enough for a combined 39.8 finishing score and comfortable near-10-mark victory margin.

Liz was delighted with Blackie’s performance after a five-week break from competition following victory on their British Eventing return at Rockingham Castle in late May.

“He was a superstar all weekend, but especially Cross Country,” she said afterwards. “There was a lot of rain before the CIC2* which really helped the firm ground, and he galloped so well across the hilly course. I had to go for it on Cross Country as the time is always very tight at Brightling, but the course rode well and I find that the horses get a good fitness boost from having such a big hill near the end. Blackie finished happy and very pleased with himself, which I'm hoping gives him a good confidence boost ahead of his return to Advanced competition later this month.”

The British-based Californian is also no stranger to developing less experienced horses, and Brightling Park offered another opportunity to put Ozzy through his paces after winning last time out at Farley Hall.

The six-year-old proved up to the challenge of his first Novice competition by coming home fifth in section. With just one rail down in Show Jumping, albeit amid atrocious weather conditions, and a few time faults Cross Country, Liz was very pleased with his overall performance as the duo continues building for the future.

“I was really pleased with Ozzy and he coped well in heavy rain and slippery going in the Show Jumping,” she said. “He was green but very positive on Cross Country and also did a nice Dressage test. Overall I was very happy with him and he tried really hard all day, which is just what you hope for when a young horse steps up a level.”

Chailey Stud’s newest recruit, Niro, was also in action at Brightling Park appearing in his first ever British Eventing competition. But, just like his stablemates, the seven-year-old handled the occasion admirably after a solid Dressage score laid the foundations for a decent afternoon’s work. Indeed, just the one Show Jumping rail down and a handful of Cross Country time penalties marked his day en route to 11th.

“It was his first eventing appearance and I’d only ridden him a few times since he arrived at Chailey Stud on the Monday, so finishing on the cusp of the top-10 is pretty good, I think!” smiled Liz. “The rail down was completely my fault and as much to do with our inexperience together as anything else. He’s certainly a great project for the future and we’ll just have to see how he develops over the rest of the season, but I’ve got a good feeling about him already.”

Niro is joined by another fresh Chailey Stud face, five-year-old Lobo (Gorsehill Lobo), at Tweseldown next weekend where both are entered in the BE100 competition, while Ozzy and Swift (Cooley Elusive) take part in the Novice.

Keep up with Liz by following her on Twitter – @lizhalliday – or on either her personal or Chailey Stud Facebook pages.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author